Monday, April 25, 2011

Follow Up Post 4/26

I preferred Attentello’s Navigating Identity Politics in Activism: Leading Outside of One’s Community out of the readings today because I felt that I was able to relate to it best. I liked how she talked about it being okay to take on other’s people’s fights if you are aware of your position in relation to the issues and how you will be viewed by the other people in the fight. I felt I could relate to her feelings of compassion for others but also her feelings of being not quite a member of their society and therefore not as able to help. She realized over time how she could help them most by teaching them her skills and that people need to see their own people in power in order to be inspired and get involved in the cause. She seemed to really get her immigrant friends in a better place and get them started on their fight and knew when her time was to move on and find another fight to help and get involved in. Another great point I felt she had was when she spoke about being conscious of her view and outlook on life and how that helped her in her writings and views of other’s writings as she tried to check herself to be objective and understand that may never happen for herself or others.

No comments:

Post a Comment