Sunday, April 24, 2011

Follow Up 4/26


I thought Attenello’s essay on how her ideas on being a leader and an activist changed through her experiences with Unidad de New Brunswick was very interesting.  Later in the essay she talks about her realization that she saw herself as unfit to lead Unidad de New Brunswick.  I found this part of the essay especially compelling.  I tried to think about whether I would feel the same way if I were in her position.  Ultimately, I also think I would feel uncomfortable leading a group that I am not part of.  What authority would I have to say how they really feel or what they really experience on a daily basis?  If I were to be in a leadership position such as that I believe that I would feel as though I’m talking down to them due to my position in society (white, privileged, suburban-raised, college educated woman).  Even if it was a group that I knew the history of, or that someone close to me was part of, I still don’t believe I would really be able to represent them, especially if it was a matter of race or class.  I do not experience what they experience on a daily basis and do not know what it feels like.  As Attenello realizes, there is a difference between leading them and helping them.  I’d be happy to lend my resources and knowledge to help other groups reach their goals, but I do not think I’d be able to be a true and valuable leader of a group I am not apart of.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you in some ways and disagree in others. I understand where you are coming from when you say that you would be uncomfortable leading a group in activism that you are not a part of. This is definitely an uncomfortable situation. However, I think that if someone is not part of the group that they are speaking on behalf of, it can be that much more powerful. I believe that getting over the hump and gaining the respect of those who you are leading would be a very difficult task but once you accomplish this task it can be even more rewarding and meaningful than if you are part of the group. This is because anyone who is part of a certain group wants that group to have more rights and a chance at equality. When someone from another group wants that equality for the group they are acting on behalf of it is an act of selflessness and can mean so much more. To bring some relevance to my rant I will site feminism. There are countless female feminists all around the world. They are feminists for many reasons but, above all else, they want equality for women because THEY are women. When a male is a feminist I think that it is that much more meaningful because he is fighting for equality that will not benefit him at all. It is the ultimate self-sacrifice. If people cannot rally around a leader like that, I do not know who people can rally around.

    ReplyDelete